Aim to know the story of Jesus’ three temptations
* To know the story of Jesus’ three temptations
* To learn the meaning of three words – fast, devil, tempt
* To learn how to resist temptation
* Bible story of Jesus’ three temptations (Luke 4:1-13)
* Pictures of the story
* Pictures of good and bad angels, glue, lollipop sticks, scissors
* Word cards – fast, devil, tempt
1. Explain the key words
2. Jesus’ Three Temptations
3. Questions about the story
4. Resisting Temptation
5. Activities – worksheet, make cut-outs of devil & angel, drama
6. Review the aims
1) Explain the key words
* tempt – to deceive or lure someone into doing wrong
* devil- the fallen archangel Lucifer
* fast – to go without food. We might fast for medical reasons or as a spiritual condition
2) Jesus’ Three Temptations
Tell the story. Use the bad angel (the devil)and good angel to show how Jesus was influenced by good and bad thoughts. The devil wanted to stop Jesus from fulfilling his mission as the Messiah.
Luke 4: 1-13, The Devil tempts Jesus in the Desert
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’ “
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written: ” ‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ “
Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’ “Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’ “
Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.
3) Questions about the story
What was the devil’s first temptation and what did Jesus answer?
“If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”
“Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.”
What was the devil’s second temptation and what did Jesus answer?
“If you are the Son of God,throw yourself down from this temple, and the angels will save you.”
“Do not put the Lord your God to the test.”
What was the devil’s third temptation and what did Jesus answer?
He showed him all the kingdoms of the world and said, “All this I will give you, if you will bow down and worship me.”
“Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.”
How could Jesus resist these temptations?
1. He knew God’s word
2. He prayed.
3. His mind was strong and knew Satan was trying to trick him, because he was very hungry.
4. He was determined to pass this test to show to God that he was ready to begin his mission
4) Resisting Temptation
* Discuss different situations where children are tempted. Every day we are tempted to do wrong or to do the right thing. It is like two voices in our head. What good and bad thoughts might you have in each of these situations? What could you do in each situation to resist temptation?
1. Jamie wakes up in the morning. He’s in a grouchy mood. When his mother tells him to get ready for school he is tempted to pretend he’s sick.
2. At the breakfast table he doesn’t see anything he likes. He is tempted to complain about mother’s cooking.
3. In the afternoon while he is out playing he gets frustrated because his little sister won’t leave his things alone. He is tempted to hit her.
4. After falling and hurting himself he is tempted to say some ugly words.
5. When daddy tells him to turn the TV off because it’s time to get ready for bed, he’s tempted to say okay, but finish his program first.
6. He’s so tired that he’s tempted to hop straight into bed and forget to pray one night.
What helps us to listen to the good voice in our head and do the right thing?
– Prayer – We can ask God to help us to be strong and resist temptation. This is what Jesus did.
– Study God’s word, so we learn what is right and wrong. That’s why we come to Sunday school. Jesus knew God’s word very well, so he wasn’t fooled by the devils tricks
– Obey our parents. When we obey we receive God’s protection. Our parents love us and want the best for us. Jesus obeyed God. This protected him from the devils temptation.
– Good & Bad Angel – Make cut-outs of the good angel and a bad angel, to use as puppets and act out different situations.
Separate the good and bad angel. Fold along the line, so you have a double-sided angel. Stick together with glue, putting the lollipop stick inside
– Worksheet – colour the picture according to the numbers
– Drama – Act out different situations of being tempted
6) Review the Lesson
What can we learn from this story? Review the aims of the lesson.
*To know the story of Jesus’ three temptations
*To learn the meaning of three words – fast, devil, tempt
* To learn how to resist temptation
7) End with a Prayer