Jesus Helps Catch Fish
SEE LESSON Plan below. Designed for children ages 3-5. Can be adjusted to use with children both younger and older. Enjoy making the lesson your own, choosing your favorite activities! And make sure to check out the Pinterest Board specifically designed for this lesson.
“Jesus Helps Catch Fish” Unit: Splash Into Summer
LESSON PURPOSE: jesus helped others. We can be helpers too.
MATERIALS: DIY fishing materials (boat, rod, net, fish, water), play & craft materials
SONG IDEAS: Sailing With our Father, Let's Go Swimming,
AS CHILDREN ARRIVE: Sensory Play (Choose 1)
Fishies in Water beads: Fill a sensory bin with clear and blue water beads and fish toys or Swedish fish. (not for eating) Let children play.
Fishing- Put paper clips around paper fish & create a fishing pole with chopsticks, string & a paperclip. Have children go fishing! Or use a fishing toy set.
Fishing net: Have children catch fish using a net.
"Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not realize that it was Jesus. He called out to them, “Friends, haven’t you any fish?” “No,” they answered. He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish." -John 21:1-14 Full Bible story here
"My goal is to develop once again the ocean cities in America so that fish and fish products can be exported to feed people all over the world. " -Rev.Moon True Father's Full Speech on Fishing
WELCOME: SONG, PRAYER, TP Greeting
REVIEW & TRANSITION:
Last week we learned all about the Ocean, God's wonderful creation! True Father had a very special love for building boats and fishing. Today we will learn a story about Jesus and his disciples fishing! Have you ever been fishing?
Fishing props: Show & Tell with a life-sized or mini toy fishing rod, hook, bait, fishing boots, net, fish, boat etc. Talk & share stories of Fishing.
Fish Pictures: Show a picture book or images of various types of fish! Let children hold a pretend fish.
Be a Fish- Pretend Play: arms= fins, legs= tail. Make fishy lips & practice swimming and blowing bubbles!
CIRCLE TIME SONG OR POEM: (choose 1)
- FISHY POCKEY- "You put your left fin in, take your left fin out. You put your left fin in and shake it all about. You do the fishy pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about! Sing again: Put your right gill in. Put your fishy tail in...
- I'M A LITTLE FISH- I'm a Little Teapot "I’m a little fish, I like to swim. You can’t catch me, ’cause I have fins. When I swim past my friends, I hear them say. Stop your swimming and come and play!"
- FISH ARE SWIMMING- Frere Jacques "Fish are swimming, fish are swimming, In the sea, in the sea, A-splishing and a-splashing, A-splishing and a-splashing, Look and see, look and see."
VIDEOS: click on the link: (choose 1 or 2)
*TEACHING POINT 1: Jesus' Miraculous Catch of the Fish
INTRO: Have you ever been fishing? Was it hard or easy to fish?
STORY: Watch or Tell the story using props- of the Miraculous Catch of Fish
- Who was fishing on a boat? Peter & Jesus' Disciples
- Where were they fishing? In the Sea of Galilee
- What was the problem? They couldn't catch any fish!
- Who appeared to them in the distance? Jesus!
- What did Jesus tell the fishermen to do? Cast their net on the right side of the boat.
- Did they catch fish then? Yes, their net was full! Jesus helped them catch fish!
- What did Jesus cook them for Breakfast? Fish! Yum. Do you like fish?
GROUP ACTIVITIES: (choose 1)
Cardboard Boat: On top of a large blue tablecloth spread on the floor, place a large cardboard box or laundry basket and pretend it's your fishing boat! Invite children one at a time to sit in the boat & go fishing for fish! Or reenact the Bible story having the teacher be Jesus & children the disciples.
Net Full of Fish: Use a large blanket, fishing net or tablecloth for children to collect fishies in! Let children take turns dragging the full net around the room.
Swim Under the Net: Hold a "net" and let children "swim" under it one at a time!
Fishing Game- Play the Let's go fishing game!
*Teaching Point 2: I Can Help Others (Optional Extension)
In the story of The Miraculous Catch of the Fish, Jesus saw his friends having trouble catching fish. They were trying so hard but not succeeding. Jesus saw a problem and stepped in to help his friends! We want to grow to be like Christ- like Jesus & True Parents who always love & help others.
- How did Jesus help his friends?
- Why do you think He helped them?
- Why is it nice to help others?
- How can you help your friends?
- Share about a time you were a good helper.
- Heart Fish: Use pre-cut heart shapes to arrange and make fishies together!
- Helping Hands: Play games or do an activity together in which children have to help each other.
Today we learned about a special Bible story The Miraculous Catch of Fish. Jesus helped his friends catch fish! True Parents help feed others through the fishing companies & restaurants they created around the world. There are many ways that we can help others too! We always want to love others and show kind hearts.
TITHING & PRAYER:
Dear Heavenly Parent, thank you for fish! We love your beautiful creation. Jesus thank you for showing us how to be a good helper. We will do our best to take good care of God's Creation and be a helping hand to our friends and family. Amen. Aju!
CRAFTS: choose 1
Fishie Crafts- Click to see a variety of fish craft ideas! Using paper plates, dot markers, yarn or handprints.
Heart Fish Craft: Create fish out of pre-cut heart shapes as a reminder of our helpful hearts.
Color a paper plate blue, glue on pre-cut little fishies. Tape a piece of netting over it.
Fish Windsock- Using a toilet paper roll, glue & tissue paper! Children glue on precut tissue paper circles to create colorful fish!
Stick Fishing Rods- Make fishing rods out of sticks, yarn & a magnetic paper clip.
Goldfish or Sweddish Fish
Enjoy the lesson! Feel free to submit photos to email@example.com Love seeing lessons come to life and each community